Product description – Virgin bottle-grade polyethylene terephthalate (PET) resin, defined as “polyethylene terephthalate resin having an intrinsic viscosity of 0.72 deciliters per gram or higher”
HS Codes – 3907 6190 and 3907 6990
Uses – Used for manufacturing of preforms, which are converted into PET bottles and jars for storage of mineral water, carbonated soft drinks, edible oils, pharmaceutical products etc.
Country involved – China PR
Applicants – IVL Dhunseri Petrochem Industries Private Limited and Reliance Industries Limited
Date of initiation – 1st October, 2019.
Period of investigation – October 2018 to June 2019.
Injury period – 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018- 2019 and the period of investigation.
Margins and proposed duty –
|Producer||Dumping margin (Range)||Injury Margin (Range)||Proposed Duty (US$/MT)|
Jiangyin Chengold Packaging Materials Co. Limited and China Prosperity (Jiangyin) Petrochemical Co. Limited
Jiangsu Xingye Plastic Co. Limited, Jiangyin Xingyu New Material Co. Limited and Jiangsu Sanfame International Trade Co. Limited
Zhejiang Wankai New Materials
Any other producer
Key findings –
- A producer can be included within the scope of domestic industry, even if it is related to an exporter of the product under consideration, provided that the volume of exports by the related exporter are insignificant.
- The period of investigation may range from 6-18 months and the Authority shall determine such period based on the facts of each investigation. Since there was a significant increase in imports and consequent adverse impact on the domestic industry, period of investigation of 9 months was appropriate.
- A producer in China PR can be allowed market economy treatment (MET) only if a response to MET questionnaire is filed by the group as a whole, that is, by the related companies as well. Where no response to MET questionnaire is filed by the parent company, MET claim is not allowed.
- The subject imports have increased in absolute and relative terms and are undercutting as well as depressing the domestic prices. The imports have adversely impacted the volume and profitability parameters of the domestic industry.
- The Authority has examined and found both material injury to the domestic industry as well as threat of further injury to the domestic industry.