Product Description – Melamine is a tasteless, odourless, and non-toxic substance.
HS Code – 29336100.
Uses – Melamine is used for making melamine-formaldehyde, which in turn is used in producing downstream products. Melamine formaldehyde resin used for laminates offer good hardness, resistance to scratch, slain, water and heat.
Country Involved – China PR.
Date of initiation – 22nd September 2020.
Period of investigation – April 2019 to March 2020 (12 Months)
Injury period – April 2016 – March 2017, April 2017 – March 2018, April 2018, March 2019 and the period of investigation.
Final findings – 23rd August 2021.
Dumping margin, injury margin and proposed duty –
The following duty has been recommended for extension by the Designated Authority.
|SN||Producer||Dumping Margin range (%)||Injury Margin range (%)||Proposed duty (USD/MT)|
|1.||Any producer in China PR||20-30%||40-60%||161|
Key findings –
- Anti dumping rules provide a discretion to the Authority for disqualification of a producer if it has imported the subject goods.
- Authority considered Russia as a surrogate country and held that all criterion of product development, country development and level of trade between global Russian exports and that from China to India are established.
- Imports from China PR in relation to total imports, demand and production continued to be significant despite duty being in force.
- Dumping and injury margins determined in period of investigation are positive.
- Inventories of the domestic industry remain high during the period of investigation. Domestic industry suffered financial losses during the period of investigation.
- Capacities in China are in far excess of their total domestic consumption and there has been addition in such capacities. Possibility of significant price undercutting and underselling if duty were to cease.
- Domestic industry provided quantified information with respect to impact of duty on end product.