Product description – Newsprint in form of strips or rolls
HS Codes – 4801
Uses – Used for printing of newspaper and advertisement material.
Country involved – Australia, Canada, European Union, Hong Kong, Russia, Singapore and United Arab Emirates
Applicants – Indian Newsprint Manufacturers Association
Date of initiation – 20th January 2020
Period of investigation – April 2019 to December 2019.
Injury period – 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018- 2019 and the period of investigation.
Margins and proposed duty –
|Producer||Country||Dumping margin (Range)||Injury Margin (Range)||Proposed Duty US$/MT|
| 1 White Birch Paper|
2 CompanyFF Soucy
3 WB L.P.Papiers Masson WB
4 L.P.Stadacona WB L.P.
| 1 Corner Brook Pulp and Paper Limited|
2 Kruger Trois-Rivieres L.P.
3 Kruger Brompton L.P.
|Any other producer||Canada||20-30||10-20||81.38|
| 1 Stora Enso Paper AB, |
2 SwedenStora Enso Langerbrugge n.v., Belgium
3 Stora Enso Sachsen GmbH, Germany
| 1 Gebruder Land GmbH Papierfabrik, Germany|
2 Rhein Papier GmbH, Germany
3 UPM Communication Papers Oy, Finland
4 UPM France SAS, France
5 UPM GmbH, Germany
6 UPM-Kymmene (UK) Limited,
7 UKUPM-Kymmene Austria GmbH, Austria
|Holmen Paper AB, Sweden||European Union||10-20||0-10||48.49|
|Papresa, S.A., Spain||European Union||60-70||10-20||74.95|
|Any other producer||European Union||65-75||10-20||91.31|
|Joint Stock Company Mondi Syktyvkar||Russia||20-30||10-20||88.60|
|Joint Stock Company Solikamskbumprom||Russia||20-30||10-20||14.27|
|Karjala Pulp LLC||Russia||10-20||0-10||50.09|
|Joint Stock Company Volga||Russia||10-20||0-10||35.34|
|Any other producer||Russia||30-40||20-30||98.60|
Key findings –
- The Authority did not find it appropriate to recommend duty on imports of newsprint of upto 42 GSM due to low volume of production by the domestic industry of newsprint of 42 GSM, and no production of less than 42 GSM.
- The use of different raw materials, that is, recycled paper by the domestic industry versus wood pulp by foreign producers, does not lead to a difference in the product.
- No product exclusion can be claimed based on non-specific vague parameters. Unless the interested parties identify distinguishing features between their products and products of the domestic industry, the former cannot be excluded from the scope of product under consideration.
- No product exclusions can be made on grounds of quality.
- The volume of imports of 42 GSM and above from Hong Kong was below de-minimis and hence it was excluded from the scope.
- The applicants constitute domestic industry as a share of 32% of the total domestic production is sufficient to constitute a “major proportion” of the total domestic production.
- Where domestic producers have supported the imposition of duty, the same has been considered in determining standing of the applicants under Rule 5, even if the support was not as per the format prescribed under Trade Notice 13/2018.
- A period of 9 months, from April to December 2019, is appropriate to examine dumping and injury. This is especially since the period for 2018-19 was aberrational due to global factors and thus, could not have been considered in the period of investigation.
- Notwithstanding the actual place of production, the goods imported from Singapore shall be subject to duties, as the imports are declared as originating from Singapore. However, any importer is free to import goods produced in other countries, without payment of duties, after declaring the country of origin appropriately.
- No individual dumping margin can be determined for an exporter, unless the producer concerned for the subject goods also participates in the investigation.
- The subject imports have increased in absolute and relative terms even though the demand in India. Imports have suppressed/depressed the prices of the domestic industry and the price underselling for all countries except Australia was positive. The imports have adversely impacted the volume and profitability parameters of the domestic industry, thereby causing it material injury.
- Where the imports have increased, despite a declining demand and the domestic industry has lost market share to the imports, the injury suffered cannot be attributed to any contraction in demand.
- The time lag in determination of order and actual imports was adjusted in determination of injury margin