Product description – Styrene Butadiene Rubber, ·(SBR) of 1500 and 1700 series only of synthetic rubbers derived from two monomers styrene and butadiene. As compared with natural rubber, SBR has better process ability, homogeneity, heat aging and abrasion resistance, but is inferior in terms of elongation, hot tear strength, hysteresis, resilience, and tensile strength and is majorly demanded by the automotive sector for manufacturing tyres.
HS Code – 40021920
Uses – Production of car tyres, shoe soles and heels, drive couplings, automotive parts and mechanical rubber goods.
Country involved – European Union, Korea RP, and Thailand
Applicant –Reliance Industries Limited
Date of imposition of duty – 12th July 2022. Present duties are applicable till 31st October 2022.
Date of initiation – 10th February 2022
Period of Investigation – October 2020 to September 2021
Injury Period – 2018-19, 2019-20 and 2020-21 and the period of investigation.
Margins and proposed duty –
|Country||Producers||Dumping Margin||Injury Margin||Duty (USD/MT)|
|Korea RP||Kumho Petrochemical Co., Ltd||0-10%||0-10%||33.95|
|Korea RP||Any other producer||0-10%||10-20%||64.00|
|European Union||Any other producer||20-30%||20-30%||266.00|
|Thailand||Any other producer||No imports||243.60|
Key Findings –
- Standing within the meaning of Rule5(3) is not required to be established in a sunset review initiated under Rule 23.
- The domestic industry has not suffered continued injury.
- 73% of production of responding producer and 116% and 72% production of European Union and Thailand have respectively been used for export purpose
- Kumho Petrochemical Co., Ltd was operating at full capacity in the period of investigation but considering the fact that 70-80% of exports from Kumho have been exported, it shows export orientation.
- 60-70% share of exports of the responding producer to third countries and 56% and 50% exports from European Union and Thailand to third countries are dumped.
- In case of European Union and Thailand, the injurious exports to third countries are 49% and 14% respectively and 30-40% in case of responding producer.
- 30-40% of exports of the responding producer to third countries are at prices which are lower than the export price to India. Similarly, 30-40% of exports in case of in case of European Union and 10-20% exports in case of Thailand are at prices below Indian prices.
- Share of SBR in total cost of tyres is less than 10%)
- The product under consideration has a very low share in the total cost of tyre and therefore, the impact of duties on the end product will be negligible.
- Authority has recommended continued extension of same measures.