Product description –Toluene di-isocyanate (TDI) is an organic compound with the formula CH3C6H3 (NCO)2. Two of the six possible isomers are commercially important: 2,4-TDI (CAS: 584-84-9) and 2,6-TDI (CAS: 91- 08- 7). 2,4-TDI is produced in the pure state, but TDI is often marketed as 80/20 and 65/35 mixtures of the 2,4 and 2,6 isomers respectively. The PUC in the present investigation concerns TDI having isomer content in the ratio of (80:20) and any other grades are beyond the scope of product under consideration.
HS Code – 29291020
Uses – Production of Flexible Polyurethane Foam, Furniture cushion, Industrial Gaskets, Protective pads for Sports & Medical use, Automobiles: Seats, Furniture, Lining, Sun visors etc., packing: Electronic items, Frozen Foods, Medicines, Audio-video Computer CD’s etc.
Country involved – China PR, Japan and Korea RP.
Applicant – Gujarat Narmada Valley Fertilizers & Chemicals Limited
Date of imposition of duty – 5th June, 2017. Present duties are applicable till 27th September, 2022.
Date of initiation – 27th August 2021
Period of Investigation –1st April 2020 to 31st March 2021
Injury Period – 2017-18, 2018-19, 2019-20 and the period of investigation.
Margins and proposed duty –
|Country||Producers||Dumping Margin||Injury Margin||Duty (USD/KG)|
|China PR||Covestro Polymers (China) Co., Limited||0-10||30-40||0.26|
|China PR||Wanhua Chemical Group Co., Ltd.||20-30||10-20||0.26|
|China PR||Any other||30-40||80-90||0.26|
|Korea RP||Hanwha Solutions Corporation||20-30||30-40||0.22|
|Korea RP||BASF Company Limited||Negative||0-10||0.31|
|Korea RP||Any other||60-70||90-100||0.44|
Key Findings –
- Interested parties’ request for exclusion of BHT free TDI from scope of product under consideration on the ground that it was not produced by domestic industry was rejected by the Authority.
- Dumping of subject goods continued from subject countries except for M/s Hanwha Solutions Corporation, Korea.
- Even though the volume of imports from subject countries declined they were found to be significant for extension of duties.
- Same duties were recommended for extension as imposed in the original investigation.
- Though two producers who did not participate in the original investigation, responded in the review investigation, they were not given individual duty.
- Dumping margin for one of the participating producers was found to be negative yet duties same duties have been recommended for extension.